[Tdwg-tag] TDWG Reference Model

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:07:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

While working with OGC standards I sometimes find things that I like
and that I find useful for TDWG. One of the most important documents
in OGC is the OGC Reference Model (ORM). Maybe you were aware of it
already, but just in case:

"The ORM  provides the overall conceptual framework for building
geospatial processing into distributed systems in an incremental and
interoperable manner. The ORM is a living document and is updated
periodically as OGC memberships continues to advance geoprocessing
interoperability"

or

"The OGC Reference Model (ORM) provides an architecture framework for
the ongoing work of the OGC. Further, the ORM provides a framework
for the OGC Technical Baseline. The OGC Technical Baseline consists
of the currently approved OpenGIS® Specifications as well as for a
number of candidate specifications that are currently in progress. "

You can find the document at

http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files?artifact_id=3836

I think TDWG - TAG should be in charge of maintaining such a document
if you find it interesting. I like it very much because, the first
time I approached the OGC community, it helped me to understand what
was going on, which standards exist, how the interrelate, etc. Let
say that it helps you to get the "overall vision".

I don't mean that we should use the same technology or strategy!! I
just like the idea of having a document like this whatever technology
we create/use (although I like it very much ;) )

Javier.