[Tdwg-tag] A very simple question stated again.

Phillip C. Dibner pcd at ecosystem.com
Fri Mar 31 00:43:44 CEST 2006

At risk of sounding like a broken record (there's an anachronism for
you),

> I understand what we can gain by using semantic tools. I still have
> not clearly
> understood what we gain by RDF.  What is wrong with simply tagging
> the schema
> elements with id attributes (or even rdf attributes - schema-schema
> is defined
> to support attributes from any other namespace) and then have an
> external
> ontology based on this?
>
> Gregor----------------------------------------------------------
> Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
> Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
> Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
> Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
> 14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203

... this is essentially the approach taken by GML, and if I
understand correctly, by ISO 19109.  However, I do not know of tools
that validate the internal semantic consistency of GML expressions or
ISO 19109-compliant models.

Flip