EGU General Assembly - call for TDWG GUID contribution

Robert Huber rhuber at WDC-MARE.ORG
Tue Jan 17 16:01:29 CET 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I apologize this very late information, but it seems as if my participation
in this TDWG group is so new that I didn't see the obvious!

The obvious is that I am co convener of a geoinformatics session at the
EGU 2006 one of the most important geoscience conferences. The session
is dedicated to database and information management topics in sedimentology
, stratigraphy and paleontology. And of course, taxonomy and the management
of taxonomic knowledge is of special importance here.
So my question is: is anybody interested to introduce the GUID thing there?
Any other contribution is of course also welcome!

The deadline for abstract submission to this year's European Geosciences
Union (EGU) General Assembly is approaching fast!

Deadline for receipt of abstracts :  20 January 2006 .
The official deadline was already last friday, but additional contributions
can be sent to me : rhuber at wdc.mare.org.

Here is the info on the session:

SSP21 "Geoinformatics and Information Management in Stratigraphy,
Sedimentology & Paleontology".

Conveners:
Jens Klump (GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam),
Kerstin Lehnert (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University)
Robert Huber (MARUM, University of Bremen).

This session continues the discussion process initiated at the EGU General
Assembly 2005 and at the AGU Fall Meeting 2005. At both meetings iGeoInfo
(http://www.igeoinfo.org) had organised sessions dedicated to networking
scientists working in informatics and information management in the
geological sciences. Both the oral sessions and the poster sessions were
very well attended.

Data on stratigraphy, sedimentology and paleontology are heterogeneous and
diverse. In many countries around the globe, an increasing number of
Geoscience projects are developing and maintaining digital data and
information systems together with tools for data analysis and visualization.
Coordination and collaboration among these projects, and their integration
are essential in order to maximize the impact of these globally distributed
Geoinformatics resources.

This session emphasizes the importance of international collaboration in the
development of a Geoscience cyberinfrastructure that will successfully
promote advances in Geoscience research and enable new approaches to
addressing scientific problems that lead to new discoveries and an improved
understanding of the Earth. We have defined two objectives for this session:

(1) to draw attention to and discuss the many political, cultural,
organizational, and technical challenges that need to be addressed and
overcome in order to achieve a truly global cyberinfrastructure for the
Geosciences.
(2) to highlight examples of international collaborations that successfully
coordinate and integrate their efforts.

Important Dates: (Abstract Deadline 13 January 2006)

EGU General Assembly
Vienna, Austria, 2-7 April 2006
http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2006/

Deadline for support applications :   9 December 2005 (passed)
Deadline for receipt of abstracts :  13 January 2006
Deadline for pre-registration     :  10 March 2006

Please, forward this message also to your colleagues.

We are looking forward to seeing you at this meeting.

Regards,

Jens Klump, Kerstin Lehnert and Robert Huber

Dr. Robert Huber
WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de, www.wdc-mare.org
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber@@wdc-mare.org, robert.huber at stratigraphy.net