Characters and States and GUIDs and descriptive data

Roger Hyam roger at TDWG.ORG
Wed Jan 25 16:10:57 CET 2006

Hi Robert,

I think you restated the question well. I am afraid I have the question
just now but not the answer ;)

To me it seems to make more sense for a user to string concepts together
to make a meaning rather than defining every possible contextual
meaning. So if a central thesaurus defined flower and colour they could
be strung together as a series of assertions in a descriptive document.
In N3:

mytaxa:rose myterms:has _:att .
_:att rdf:type myterms:flower .
_:att myterms:is myterms:red .

There would still be room for specific complex predicates and objects to
be defined centrally but in general this appears to allow for greater
flexibility in an open system. It might not suite all tastes though.

Roger

--

-------------------------------------
 Roger Hyam
 roger at tdwg.org
 +44 1578 722782
-------------------------------------

--------------070405000909010605070907

<head>
</head>
Hi Robert,<br>
I think you restated the question well. I am afraid I have the question
just now but not the answer ;)<br>
To me it seems to make more sense for a user to string concepts
together to make a meaning rather than defining every possible
contextual meaning. So if a central thesaurus defined flower and colour
they could be strung together as a series of assertions in a
descriptive document. In N3:<br>
<pre>mytaxa:rose myterms:has _:att .
_:att rdf:type myterms:flower .
_:att myterms:is myterms:red .</pre>
objects to be defined centrally but in general this appears to allow
for greater flexibility in an open system. It might not suite all
tastes though.<br>
Robert Huber wrote:
 type="cite">
  <title></title>
 class="938220715-25012006">I heard about DELTA and SDD seems to be
very interesting! So when we are&nbsp;thinking about GUIDs in this context I
 class="938220715-25012006">you would assign a GUID on the 'contextual
meaning of terms'? E.g. what&nbsp;open means when you describe a&nbsp;open
 class="938220715-25012006">A GUID would then direct the user to a
document/ db entry which explains that ?&nbsp; Or would the GUID be assigned
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0, 0, 255); padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;">
 face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Urspr&uuml;ngliche Nachricht-----<br>
    <b>Von:</b> Taxonomic Databases Working Group GUID Project
    <b>An:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:TDWG-GUID at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU">TDWG-GUID at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU</a><br>
    <b>Betreff:</b> Re: Characters and States and GUIDs and descriptive
data<br>
Hi Robert,<br>
Characters and States are the building blocks of the DEscription
Language for TAxonomy (DELTA). This has been around since the 1980s and
is being updated as Structure of Descriptive Data (SDD) - which I am
fairly ignorant on but believe has the same basic notion of characters
and states but one of the SDD guys would be better talking about that.<br>
The DELTA home page is here: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="http://biodiversity.bio.uno.edu/delta/">http://biodiversity.bio.uno.edu/delta/</a>
but seems to be down now. There is plenty on Google.<br>
The SDD wiki here: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/SDD/WebHome">http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/SDD/WebHome</a>
(SDD also uses class in a different sense.)<br>
I think what I was saying is that the usage of classes and states does
not fit well with the use of a thesaurus like approach as the
'traditional' meaning of these things is not clear in an open world and
that this may not just be a problem with DELTA style data but we may
come across it in other places.<br>
Hope this clarifies things.<br>
Roger<br>
Robert Huber wrote:
 cite="midCPEBIOADNJBNOOJKJBLHOENBCLAA.rhuber at wdc-mare.org" type="cite">
 face="Arial" size="2">I could not reall yunderstand what you and
 face="Arial" size="2">From the example you gave, it appears to be&nbsp;
like&nbsp; classes (character)&nbsp;and attributes (states)&nbsp;or you want to assign
GUIDs to something like Thesaurus entries? But m</font></span><span
 class="304040013-25012006"><font color="#0000ff" face="Arial" size="2">aybe
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0, 0, 255); padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;">
 face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Urspr&uuml;ngliche Nachricht-----<br>
        <b>Von:</b> Taxonomic Databases Working Group GUID Project [<a
 class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="mailto:TDWG-GUID at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU">mailto:TDWG-GUID at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU</a>]<b>Im
Auftrag von </b>Roger Hyam<br>
        <b>An:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
 href="mailto:TDWG-GUID at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU">TDWG-GUID at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU</a><br>
        <b>Betreff:</b> Characters and States and GUIDs and descriptive
data<br>
Kevin mentioning Characters and States and GUIDs got me thinking and I
was wondering if we could cover something along these lines before the
meeting. Please excuse me if this has been dealt with on the list. I
will use a Delta type illustration to my point. This may not apply to
SDD so much - apologies if it doesn't but I am trying to get at a
general point. My comments may be more general to GUIDs though...<br>
When we are dealing with GUIDs we are talking in an Open World model as
opposed to a Closed World model. If I search Google (open world) and
don't find something it isn't because it doesn't exist - it may exist
but not be found for a host of reasons. If I search my local SQL DB
(closed world) and I don't find something then I can safely assume it
isn't there. (This may be a naive description of Open vs Close worlds
but it illustrates the point).<br>
Taking this to the Characters/States model. We have a character that
looks like this:<br>
Flower Colour (GUID_c01)<br>
- red (GUID_s01)<br>
- white (GUID_s02)<br>
- yellow (GUID_s03)<br>
And I score a taxon as&nbsp; "Rose <b>has</b> flower colour red". If I have
given GUIDs to the states then I don't need to use the GUID for the
character. "Rose has s01" is fine as the character is implied.<br>
Can we assume from this statement that my rose does not have white or
yellow flowers? Yes - but only if it is a closed world and we know that
the character never changes (or hasn't changed since the date of the
assertion). If the choice when scoring had been:<br>
Flower Colour (GUID_c01)<br>
- red (GUID_s01)<br>
- white (GUID_s02)<br>
- yellow (GUID_s03)<br>
- dark pink (GUID_s99)<br>
I may have chosen "Rose has s99" of "Rose has s99 and s01" but I simply
didn't have that choice before. <br>
So the thing that is troubling me is that Character/State uses a closed
world model where not finding something implies that it doesn't have
that attribute. In an open world system one can only draw conclusions
from presence not absence. We could give GUIDs to characters and states
but it doesn't get us very far as it doesn't permit us to re-use or
extend them in a simple way. (sure you could build an inheritance model
for characters and states but this rapidly becomes a complete ontology
language of which there are a few already available!).<br>
My gut feeling is that in the long term the Character/State model
doesn't transfer well into an open world model. I suspect this problem
may occur in other descriptive areas where the existing model specifies
noun-adjective pairs that I don't have experience of. Perhaps we could
explore this a little. Perhaps my guts need straightening out!<br>
Your thoughts greatly appreciated.<br>
Roger<br>
        <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

 Roger Hyam