identifiers for geologic samples

Fri Jan 27 15:02:21 CET 2006

Thanks, Matt -- this is really interesting!

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the sort of system that
would work well for our field.  A centralized issuer (which could issue
blocks of thousands or millions of numbers at a time), with no inherent
categoriziation of what "kind" of object the number is assigned to (taxon
name, taxon concept, specimen, population, dataset, collection, defined
locality, publication instance, agents, etc.).  Then we manage the
relationships/links among the objects via controlled vocabulary/ontology and
metadata (as we discussed at some length back in November).

I'm not sure how wise it would be to create a new syntax standard, rather
than go with one of the ones we've discussed.  But if (for example) using
LSID, I personally think it would be preferable to establish a highly
generic form, such as:

urn:lsid:gbif.org:BioGUID:12345

-or-

urn:lsid:tdwg.org:BioGUID:12345

Or, if GBIF/TDWG are not generic enough, then something like:

urn:lsid:biologicalregistry.org:BioGUID:12345

Where the "biologicalregistry.org" is perhaps initially established by TDWG
or GBIF, but can be perpetuated by whomever, if circumstances suggested it.

Aloha,
Rich