How GUIDs will be used

Mon Jan 30 00:23:09 CET 2006

Thank you, Sally!  I have been beating the drums on a related point (the
difference between data objects singlularly associated with particular
organisations, people or projects -- like specimens and datasets; vs. data
objects likely to be shared by many -- like taxon names & concepts,
reference citations, and named localities) for years now. Your observation
of other practical differences relating to the impact of GUID duplication
further emphasizes the distinction.

Perhaps the two break-out sections at the workshop should be split according
to "GUIDs for data objects not likely to be duplicated across multiple
providers" (existing "specimens" group), vs. "GUIDs likely to be shared by
multiple providers" (existing taxon names/concepts group).

I would imagine that the former group would lean toward provider-assigned
GUIDs and emphasis on fast/easy implementation; whereas the latter group
would lean towards centralized GUID assignment (or at least coordination of
GUID assignment) and emphasis on developing software tools to cross-walk
multiple independent datasets with broadly overlapping content of shared
data objects, in order to minimize redundant GUID assignment to shared
objects.

Aloha,
Rich