Combined response

Bob Morris morris.bob at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 31 13:13:28 CET 2006

On 1/30/06, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:

> Rod Page wrote:
>
> > The issue of centralisation and "taxonomic freedom" is a red herring
> > (due to Rich and I talking past each other -- my fault).
>
> I share the blame.
>
> > My concern
> > (and I know I'm doing a very poor job of explaining this) is that
> > administrative layers and attempting to harmonise things centrally may
> > ultimately prove to get in the way of getting things done.
>
> I agree that it might, but I don't think it necessarily has to.  Again, I
> point to IP addresses and DNS.  They are obviously harmonized, but aren't
> locked up in administrative layers (or are they???)

Yes, they are, big time. Both have a hierarchy of organizational
administrative control ending at IANA, the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority, http://www.iana.org/. If an individual proposes to put a machine
onto the internet, they receive permission, an IP address, and a dns name
from the appropriate local authority managing the network to which they will
physically connect. Often that permission and issuance is done by software
on a network host on that network (usually a DHCP, dynamic host control
protocol, server. In turn, the network administrators will have received
permissions from the next administration up the chain to issue a specific
block of IP addresses, or specific form of names.

IANA is under attack right now by a movement of governments led by the
International Telecommunications Union which wants to centralize, by
country, control of the mechanisms that are sketched above.

There is a lesson here though. It is that most end-user beneficiaries of
this complex arrangement find it needs nothing whatsoever on their part to
get those benefits. That is probably a requirement of any good GUID issuance
and resolution services also. (But it is not about GUID capabilities, rather
about their support).

------=_Part_24056_7476139.1138731208018