[Tdwg-tag] Ontology Fever medicines: (was: Primary Objects as XML Structures or OWL Classes)

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Tue Feb 21 00:13:12 CET 2006

  Excellent post, Steve! Many thanks.

Recently, I've came across a good recipe against Ontology Fever
condition (which, by the way, has a cousin strain in the XML Schema
world, too). It's on the last slide of the presentation named Ontology
Engineering by Dr. Jeremy Rogers from the University of Manchester
(http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/intro/slides/OntologyEngineering.ppt).
It was part of the GUID-1 workshop homework. I copy it here:

- Ontologies are conceptualisation of domains for use on computers TO DO
SOME TASK(S): Always ask “What’s it for?”
- Perfection and completeness will seduce you. Only build what’s useful.

Sorry, I don't want to disturb the original discussion thread. Carry on.

Cheers,

Ricardo