GUIDs, LSIDs, and metadata

Sun Sep 11 11:59:41 CEST 2005

Thanks, Kevin.

I didn't realize that the LSID infrastructure was comparatively large
compared to other GUID systems that have been suggested. Whenever I've been
involved with discussions about GUIDs with people who understand the
implications much better than I do, it always seems like the availability of
open-source software tools is one of the reason people tend to favor LSIDs.

My vision of the GUID itself would be the 64-bit integer, which could be
wrapped into an LSID package, our used as a DOI number, or in some other
GUID system. I also believe the resolution service should be mirrored (via
robust and fast synchronization mechanisms) on hundreds or even thousands of
servers around the world -- at least for the "data commons" (e.g., names,
concepts, literature).

I FULLY agree that it is very important to clearly define what objects
should be assigned TDWG-standard GUIDs. In my view, the two object-domains
in most need of GUIDs for the biological informatics community are taxonomic
names, and "documentation" instanaces (~= authored/dated references,
publications, etc.), with taxon concepts represented by the intersection of
these two domains. Unfortunately, *neither* of these objects has been
clearly defined within our community.  It would be nice if we could simply
adopt an exisitng literature-based GUID system developed by some other
community, but from what I have learned, none quite meets the particular
needs of the taxonomic informatics community (hence the emerging TDWG
Literature Subgroup). The reason I single these two out from other data
domains are: 1) they are (or should be) central to virtually all taxonomic
data domains; and 2) they are particularly "thorny" in terms of unambiguous
natural keys and cross-dataset resolution.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard Pyle