Topic 1: What do we mean by "GUID"?

Patricia Mergen p_mergen at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 11 12:09:23 CEST 2005

Dear Donald and colleagues from the GUID group

Please find some comments here below

There are two concepts which may be kept separated:
        Identify an “item” (object or representations of the
object) which should be unique and stable which can be
understood as a GUID.
        Localisation of an object or its representation which
may and often is not stable.

Many of the tools and systems suggested  so far often
mix up these two concepts and intend to identify and
localise at the same time. Problems than occur often
because localisation is not stable and apparently not
workable as a GUID.

Maybe for solving the problem, we could try for
GBIF/TDWG to keep these two concepts separated and
look for a system which is most appropriate to
identify uniquely and in a stable way the unit level
data. This can be an Accession number with no meaning
like those used for Sequence data.
Localisation of the object can be dealt with as being
information about the “object” that can change in time
like any other.

Best regards

Patricia Mergen