AW: Topic 3: GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Mon Nov 7 01:38:36 CET 2005

Hi Roger,

I'm not sure what you're specifically asking, but there is definitely a
difference between ICBN and ICZN Codes in terms of what constitutes a
nomenclatural act.  Under the ICBN code, combining a species epithet with a
different genus name (i.e., creating a new combination) is a Code-governed
act.  Under ICZN, it is not.  There are some ICZN rules that affect
subsequent combinations (e.g., gender agreement, secondary homonyms, etc.),
but the point is, ICZN-governed "names" are limited to what more or less
corresponds to botanical basionyms.

These differences between the two Codes have led to the different
perspectives of:

Botanical -- subsequent genus combination constitutes a new name, and thus
genus combination is an attribute of a name object.

Zoological -- genus combination (other than original genus combination)
considered an attribute of *usage* of a name; therefore not creating a "new"
name object.

The difference is also reflected in the different styles of attributing
authorship of names.

As I said in a previous post, it all boils down to whether genus combination
is an attribute of a name object (botanical), or of a name-usage instance
(zoological).

Maybe you're asking about something altogether different, in which case I
apologize for adding mud to the water....

Aloha,
Rich