GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Mon Nov 14 14:17:51 CET 2005

What you get back depends on who you call, what you ask for, and how much
linking has already been established.

Minimally, the "data" for GUID 8 would include the NameString "Xea bus", and
either textual citation metadata or a ref-GUID pointing to the documentation
instance of "Pyle 2005" (i.e., #1 in your list below).  Ideally, it would
also include locater information (e.g., page numbers) for finding where,
within the documentation instance "Pyle 2005", you can find the
appearance(s) of the NameString "Xea bus" (or its "explicitly implied"
equivalent of "X. bus"). There may be various other bits and pieces of
direct data and/or metadata attached directly to GUID 8, depending on
whether the data provider recognizes it as a surrogate representation of a
basionym, new combination, TaxonConcept, whatever -- but the "true"
definition of GUID 8 is simply the appearance of the NameString "Xea bus"
within the documentation instance of "Pyle 2005".

If the data provider that you called for GUID 8 had established full
INTRA-documentation nomenclatural cross-links, then you might also get:

- A Link of nomenclatrual type "is combined with" to GUID 7.
- Links of nomenclatural type "is senior synonym of" to GUIDs 9, 10 & 11.

If the data provider that you called for GUID 8 had established
INTER-documentation nomenclatural cross-links, then you might also get:

- A link of nomenclatural type "has basionym" to GUID 2.
- If a plant, also a link of nomnclatural type "is authored combination" to
GUID 5.

If the data provider that you called for GUID 8 also dealt in concepts, you
might also have:

- Links of Concept type "includes" to GUIDs 9, 10 & 11.
- Links of Concept type "includes" to GUIDs 2, 3 & 5.
- A Link of Concept Type "is included in" to GUID 7 (maybe?? or would this
be "is child of"?)

And there may be other intra-GUID cross-links established as well.  But the
point is, the data attached directly to GUID 8 only intrinsically represents
the NameString (along with its "explicitly implied" equivalents), and a
reference to a documentation instance, and perhaps some other attributes
tied directly to the appearance of that name within that documentation
instance (e.g. page numbers).  All the rest is secondary contextual linking
among other GUID-bearing NameUsage instances, as established by various data
providers.

The structure is appealing because it *can* fit nicely into TCS (e.g.,
distinguishing nomenclatual links that would be embedded within a TCS
<TaxonName> instance, vs. concept links that would be enumerated within
TaxonConcept/TaxonRelationships) -- however, it is broader than simply
assigning GUIDs to TaxonConcept instances, because not all Usage instances
rise to the level of "defined concept" (sensu Jessie). Rather, a *subset* of
NameUsage instances would represent TaxonConcept instances -- just as a
subset of TaxonConcept instances would represent "Original Concepts"
(=original descriptions, =basionyms &  New Combinations).

I agree that it is suboptimal to use these sorts of surrogate GUIDs -- but
it seems we had already begun to embrace the "[TaxonName] SEC [Publication]"
interesection as a surrogate identifier ("handle") to a TaxonConcept -- so
I'm only taking the same idea one step further.

Let me know how else I might clarify.

Aloha,
Rich