[tdwg-tapir] ideas & TapirLite

Steven Perry smperry at ku.edu
Thu Nov 17 18:41:23 CET 2005

I suppose we could implement an optional "conversation id" or "request
id".  I've used this kind of thing before when implementing some of the
FIPA protocols for distributed intelligent agent systems.  This will at
least provide a hook to build on top of, so long as it's optional.

What bothers me about it is that it starts to make the protocol look
transactional.  Right now TAPIR is a simple, stateless protocol.  That
makes it easy for us to implement it over the top of HTTP. Once we start
talking about distributed, or especially asynchronous processing of
TAPIR messages, things get complicated.

If TAPIR becomes asynchronous, clients will have to have a mechanism to
cancel a request before they get a response (meaning free up state and
move on).  To do this properly, TAPIR requests should be given a time to
live so that downstream services that process requests can also cancel
and free up state when necessary.  We may also need to give the client a
method for telling the service it's talking to that it should not pass
requests down or should only do so to a certain depth, in other words
for the client to have some control over how it's request is serviced.

In summary, we may need several additional mechanisms to make this a
stateful asychronous distributed protocol.  I'm not against adding a
request id attribute, but going much beyond that will require some
serious thought as to the implications.

-Steve