[tdwg-tapir] TapirLite

Robert Gales rgales at ku.edu
Mon Nov 21 16:37:28 CET 2005

Good Morning All,

I've been giving this some thought as well as I may be one of the people
implementing client-side software.  I have much of the same concerns as
Markus, that with the capabilities response as it stands generic clients
will need to be exceedingly intelligent to prevent portals from
supporting only the lowest common denominator of the feature set of all
of its providers.

That being said, Renato is correct in his assessment of how providers
have been setup in the past.  Most of the work with data sharing (at
least in the US) has been through thematic networks (MaNIS, HerpNET,
ORNIS and FishNET) with a small number of people configuring the data
providers.  For situtations like these it is most likely the case that
there will already be some minimum requirements that data providers must
have.  It may be a close to full TAPIR implementation or even TAPIR Lite
with query templates for that particular thematic network.  Either way,
the clients for these networks will likely not require the intelligence
that a generic TAPIR client will because enough of the capabilities will
be known ahead of time that a functional portal could be written.

While this is generally true, there are some obvious situations where a
more generic portal (ala DiGIR, but with a friendlier customizable user
interface) would be desired.  Take the case where MaNIS is upgraded and
John decided that each of the providers must implement TAPIR with search
and operations and HerpNET is upgraded and decided to implement
TAPIRLite with query templates.  For each of those thematic networks,
the portal is fine because the developers of it know the capabilities
before hand, but now assume a regional or institution portal is being
setup that uses both MaNIS and HerpNET, they'll also have to write a
custom portal that understands both TAPIR and the HerpNET specific
implementation of TAPIRLite.  Further, say a portal wants to integrate
specimen and taxon concept data, but the specimens implement TAPIR and
all TCS providers are TAPIRLite.  Once again, the developers must write
an entirely custom portal.

It would be nice if there was a baseline set of functionality that TAPIR
providers must have rather than absolutely everything being optional and
defined within the capabilities so that a generic portal could be
written with a customizable user interface.

My thoughts on all of this are that at minimum search should be required
by TAPIR implementations and that all operations except "in" should be
required (which is not supported by RDF, but can be translated using
boolean and comparative operators).  The question that seems to be the
core of all of the recent concerns looks likes its boiling down too:
"Are you a TAPIRLite implementation or a TAPIR implementation?"

Given that search and operations were mandatory for TAPIR
implementations, it seems to me that the complexity of client-side code
could be radically simplified if there was just a simple way for a
provider to say "I'm a TAPIR Lite implementation."  This very well could
be as Renato suggested, that operations are disabled or even that search
is disabled (given that it is mandatory for TAPIR implementations).

Assuming the above was present in the TAPIR protocol and a mixed network
of TAPIR/TAPIR Lite implementations, the generic portal's basic logic
might look something like the following:

If Provider x is TAPIRLite:
   Find all query templates that match my output model

   As user constructs query, remove those query templates that could not
   possibly be used (missing concept, etc.)

   /* Likely more logic here if > 1 query templates are left
    * possibly with user interaction */

Else If Provider x is TAPIR:
   Ensure x supports my output model

   Can assume that search is available

   Can assume that operations (exception maybe "in") are supported

   /* If client is ambitious, may try to use any query templates defined
    * within search capabilities (would be same alg. as TAPIRLite), but
    * is optional */

The seems, at least on first glance by myself, to provide baseline
functionality for both client/server side software that isn't just ping,
capabilities and metadata.  This should improve on issues with
interoperability as well as provide the minimum set of functionality
that both client/server must support and can be rigorously tested.
Further because the logic is vastly simplified, it would be feasible to
compose a generic, customizable portal.

Anyway, just some thoughts...
- Rob