Two Scenarios

Dag Terje Endresen dagterje at NGB.SE
Fri Nov 25 18:44:16 CET 2005

Hi all,

Do we move to fast into the mechanism on how to resolve the GUID before
we have defined how the GUID will look like? Sorry if I am to jump too
fast on this train in my remarks below.

I think that what Arthur and Roger was touching, is that we already have
various production mechanisms for resolving metadata object relations
implemented. Many organizations already have systems established and
populated with metadata and logic to resolve information and relation
for the objects that we will assign GUIDs to? I believe this is in part
why we are interested to come up with an improved method to address
this task?

I know we in the European seed bank community have discussed even the
option to receive and redirect requests on living biological material
(seeds) from crop metadata portals. The portals themselves do not own
(or control) either the metadata nor the physical seed samples. There
are also services providing additional or corrections to the published
metadata on the seed samples. All these activities struggle to achieve
a stable link back to the original physical sample and would be
significantly improved by a stable GUID mechanism to resolve this link.
There are methods and logic implemented to address this problem. Often
the link back is lost, and often severe manual work is done to currate
the link between these objects.

So I think there would be a transition period to migrate the logic to
RDFs and to re-engineer the mechanisms to resolve the link between the
metadata objects and between the metadata and the physical sample. I am
not very well into the theory of the RDF and need to read up before I
would be able to start to migrate the logic we have established to
resolve relationsships in the seed bank community to RDF. I would
however be happy to do the reading if this is the standard GUID
representation we will go for. I hope however we will not build the
GUID resolver so complex that knowledge about how to use the GUID will
be too much of a limitation...? For example if the GUID itself would be
something you could paste directly into a browser and get information
about the object, would less user threshold than if you would need to
install some kind of RDF client to be able to "use" the GUID? We should
perhaps start with a very basic GUID solution and remember to think
about how this can be integrated with existing mechanisms. Not all
existing solutions involve schemas described in XML. And I also believe
that migrating even logic described in XML to RDFs would provide us
with some challenges? This is why the call for use cases by Donald is
important?

Cheers
Dag Terje