[Tdwg-phylo] Publishing a trees in RDF

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin at umd.edu
Thu Oct 21 15:30:24 CEST 2010

David--

This raises two issues that I don't quite understand.

The problem of visualizing large trees, e.g., hundreds of thousands or
millions of nodes, has been solved again and again by computer
scientists.  We've all seen some visualizations of the internet done
with such tools.  There is no fundamental technology barrier.  The
technology exists to visualize large trees and zoom around and
navigate and so on.

The problem has to do with how to develop stable and adaptable
software for a community that is poor, dispersed, fractious (unable to
agree on standards), and constantly changing in its needs.

Likewise, computer scientists and hackers have repeatedly solved the
problem of designing a framework for automating bioinformatics
workflows.  So why don't more bioinformaticians use automated workflows?

Probably the group that is getting closest to what you want is the
TreeViz group of EoL at the Field Museum.   Karen Cranston (cc) has
some cool slides on this.

The second issue that I don't understand is: what is the proper
netiquette when a list message is cc'ed to half a dozen people?  If we
all keep repeating the cc pattern, recipients may be getting lots of
messages that they don't want.  If we stick to the list only, they
could miss out.

Arlin