[TDWG-MIDS] 4th meeting, 4th March UTC 14:30-16:00 agenda and zoom link

Wouter Addink wouter.addink at naturalis.nl
Thu Mar 4 14:27:23 UTC 2021

Hi all,
in preparation for the meeting a few considerations from my side:

1. Most use cases
<https://github.com/tdwg/mids/blob/working-draft/use-cases/Use%20cases%20for%20MIDS.md>
with functional requirements we have for MIDS so far are centered around
assessment of digitisation status.  However the name of the standard
implicitly refers to using the standard as the basis of a DS (Digital
Extended Specimen). In the global ES/DS consultation this was further
sketched as either the authoritative section (a-section), metadata section,
or both. I think we need to state this more explicitly as a use case, as
this may also need inclusion of data related to access of the MIDS data
(legal restrictions or open access).
2. I think we miss another important use case which is using MIDS to aid
further digitisation. I am thinking about specimen data refinery services
(SDR).  What could help SDR is information about the appearance of the
object (what can be expected to be in an image), like Dried assemblage |
Dried - not assembled | Fluid preserved | Microscope slides |
Cryopreserved/frozen - 80C | etc. See also the materiaType issue
https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/14. and also information about what
information can be expected to be extracted. This could be a
discipline like used in Synth+, for instance PreservedBotany,
PreservedMicroorganisms, see also CD: basisOfCollection. Or, alternative
could be collectionType from NCD:
Archival | Art | Audio | Cell Cultures | Electronic | Facsimiles | Fossils
| Genetic | Geological | Herbarium | Living | Manuscripts | Mineralogical |
Observations | Preserved | Products | Specimens | Texts | Tissue | Visual
from the point of view of what to expect as data this may be better in that
it has for instance a separate category for facsimiles. But In terms of a
dashboard, disciplines may be a better choice. collectionType is difficult
to describe unambigously.
3. MaterialType is currently not clear, see also the github issue. Material
type would in my mind be something like: wood, gold, metal, leaves, skin,
similar to http://www.cidoc-crm.org/Entity/e57-material/version-6.2 and
that is not what we need. Neither something like 80% alcohol (preservation).
4. Name, currently described as: The name the specimen is stored under, not
it's identification according to an accepted scientific classification
(although these can be the same). To avoid confusion I would relabel that
to: storedUnderName
5. Institution: should be described as the institution having custody of
the object. Do we also need to describe the owner of the object in MIDS (if
different)? And what if an individual has custody of the object rather than
an institution (private collection)?
6. We only include an image/media as i or m, should we not include more
metadata in that case, like identifier/ url, license?

Kind regards,
Wouter

> [...]
>>>
>>> Meeting URL:
>>> https://cardiff.zoom.us/j/81730361925?pwd=Z2J0T1U2VWxXSVM5TGUyblIyWFdJQT09
>>>

>>> Meeting ID:        817 3036 1925
>>>
>>> Password:          926998
>>>

>>> *Agenda*
>>>
>>> A googledoc for notes is here: http://bit.ly/tgmids-notes.
>>>

>>> 1)                  Introduction
>>>
>>>    1. Reminder of the work:
>>>
>>> At the least meeting we dropped RecordCreator and CreatedOn terms.
>>> Retained Modified. Discussion on Name as an indicator of what a thing is.
>>> Today we need a decision on that. materialType needs a more atomized
>>> vocabulary but also noted this is running into weaknesses in existing
>>> vocabularies like DwC.
>>>
>>>    1. Short report from CETAF Digitization working group, 1st March 2021
>>>
>>> Info elements related to geography – which are most important?
>>>

>>> 2)                  Decision needed
>>>
>>>    1. Name (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/12) – pending decision
>>>       carried over from previous meeting.
>>>
>>>                                                                i.      Slight
>>> preference from those present to use the label ‘Name’. An alternative
>>> label, preferred by a few is ‘Title’.
>>>
>>>                                                              ii.      Definition
>>> of the term is general, “A name given to the specimen”. Equivalent to
>>> dc:title: “A name given to the resource” (
>>> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title) and to Schema.org ‘name’: “The
>>> name of the item”. (https://schema.org/name).
>>>
>>>                                                            iii.      Map
>>> it to dwc:scientificName (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/scientificName),
>>> and abcd:fullScientificName (and adapted discipline-specific terms).
>>>

>>> 3)                  Discussion needed (as time permits)
>>>
>>>    1. MaterialType (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/14)
>>>       2. Mass (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/4) – proposal for an
>>>       additional/new information element necessary for certain geological
>>>       specimen categories
>>>       3. PhysicalSpecimenId (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/10)
>>>       4. Institution (https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/11)
>>>       5. Geography related
>>>

>>> 4)                  Any other business
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>

>>> Alex
>>> Hardisty                                                                 Alex
>>> Hardisty
>>>
>>> Director of Informatics Projects                                   Cyfarwyddwr
>>> y Prosiect Gwybodeg
>>>
>>> School of Computer Science and Informatics               Yr Ysgol
>>> Cyfrifiadureg a Gwybodeg
>>>
>>> Cardiff University, Queens Buildings                            Prifysgol
>>> Caerdydd, Adeiladau’r Frenhines
>>>
>>> 5, The Parade, Cardiff CF24 3AA                                   5,
>>> The Parade, Caerdydd CF24 3AA
>>>
>>> United
>>> Kingdom                                                            Y
>>> Deyrnas Unedig
>>>

>>> tel: +44 (0)29 2087 4861                                               ffôn

>>> alex.hardisty                                                      skype:
>>> alex.hardisty
>>>
>>> orcid id: orcid.org/0000-0002-0767-4310

Coördinator Research-data and E-infrastructure

International Biodiversity Infrastructures
Natural Biodiversity Center, P.O. Box 9517, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands

Coordination team member, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (
DiSSCo <http://dissco.eu/>)
Node Manager for DiSSCo, Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF
<http://www.gbif.org/>)
Regional representative for Europe, Biodiversity Information Standards
Organisation (TDWG <http://tdwg.org/>)
Chair Biodiversity Data Integration IG, Research Data Alliance (RDA
<http://www.rd-alliance.org/>)
Catalogue of Life Ambassador (CoL <http://www.catalogueoflife.org/>)

*ORCID*:  0000-0002-3090-1761 | *Linkedin*: *linkedin.com/in/wouteraddink/
<http://linkedin.com/in/wouteraddink/>*

*Twitter*: @wouter99999 | *Tel*: +31 (0) 71 751 9364

wouter.addink at naturalis.nl - www.naturalis.nl - www.catalogueoflife.org -
www.dissco.eu