[TDWG-MIDS] vocabularies for characterizing samples

smrtucson at gmail.com smrtucson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 20:35:13 UTC 2021

Hello MIDS-

I am with the iSamples project (https://isamplesorg.github.io/home/),
working on a core metadata schema for describing physical samples from the
Earth Science, Bioscience and Archaeology/Anthropology domains. Our
objectives overlap with the MIDS, and we would like to stay in close
communication to harmonize our outputs. This is a work in progress, and
we're interested in as much alignment as possible with TDWG work.

After studying various sample description schemes from our focus domains,
the draft core metadata scheme has high level categories for specimenType,
materialType, and sampledFeatureType with a controlled vocabulary of 10-20
classes for each type. (The design then accommodates domain specific
categories extending these type for more granular searching.)    These are
related to the materialTypes MIDS element under discussion
<https://github.com/tdwg/mids/issues/14> ; you might have see my posting in
that discussion.

*	SpecimenType is concerned with the kind of object (specimen)-similar
to MIDS level 1 MaterialType,
*	MaterialType is concerned with what the object (specimen) is
composed of-- similar to MIDS level 3.
*	SampledFeature categories serve to identify broad context for the
collection event.

We are testing the three vocabularies with a card sorting exercise. There
are descriptions of 65 samples mined from various sample databases; the
exercise consists of assigning each sample 'card' to one of the categories
in the vocabulary.  We would very much like to get input from a broader
community on the vocabularies . If you have 20 min or so, please try one (or
more!) of the sorting exercises.

Specimen Type Sorting
https://x12745x3.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort/3x1kqnv2

Specimen Material Type Sorting
https://x12745x3.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort/ud4300c4-0

Sampled Feature Type Sorting
https://x12745x3.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort/qf1254qw

Thanks

steve

Stephen M. Richard

US Geoscience Information Network (USGIN)

 <mailto:smrTucson at gmail.com> smrTucson at gmail.com

520-869-8545