[tdwg-humboldt] Seeking ratification of the Humboldt Extension for ecological inventories

John Wieczorek gtuco.btuco at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:02:52 UTC 2024

Dear Executive Committee,

As convenor and on behalf of the Darwin Core Maintenance Interest Group it
is my pleasure to announce that the Humboldt Extension Task Group has
completed and presents the results of the tasks in its charter (
https://www.tdwg.org/community/osr/humboldt-extension/). The tasks included
a public review, which went through two rounds of changes and resulted in
useful updates to the originally proposed vocabulary enhancement to Darwin
Core. The result is a clear set of terms, their definitions, usage
comments, and examples and a formal controlled vocabulary for the new term
eco:taxonCompletenessReported. The entire history of the review process (
https://github.com/tdwg/hc/issues?q=is%3Aissue) and the resulting changes
can be found in the TDWG Humboldt Extension GitHub repository (
https://github.com/tdwg/hc).

In addition to the review, the GitHub repository and associated documents
contain the necessary documentation to comply with the Vocabulary
Maintenance Standard (https://www.tdwg.org/standards/vms/). The Landing
page for the Extension (https://eco.tdwg.org/) provides links to all
relevent documentation, including the normative "Humboldt Extension
Vocabulary List of Terms" document (https://eco.tdwg.org/list/), a "Usage
Guide" (non-normative,
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rX4m94rtZDR_8iIe3RvRnNYKDJcmSX3ii4S5hCznEA0/edit#heading=h.rr2lqlf80rn0,
which will be even further developed in collaboration with GBIF), the
"Implementation Experience Report" (
https://eco.tdwg.org/humboldt_extension_implementation_experience_report.pdf),the
"isLeastSpecificTargetCategoryQuantityInclusive Guidelines" (
https://eco.tdwg.org/inclusive/),documentation entitled "Properties of
hierarchical events in the Humboldt Extension for Ecological Inventories" (
https://eco.tdwg.org/hierarchy/), and the "Quick Reference Guide" (
https://eco.tdwg.org/terms/) following the pattern of human-friendly
documentation for the Darwin Core standard.

Following the Vocabulary Maintenance Standard, by endorsing this proposal
and forwarding it to you, we have entered into the Executive Committee
Decision Phase. Once ratification is complete, the highlighted Note at the
beginning of the landing page will be removed to reflect the new ratified
status of the Vocabulary Enhancement.

I want to add a personal note of appreciation for the monumental effort
embodied in this submission. The Task Group was extremely effective, and
was under the constant capable leadership of Yanina Sica. It was a
fantastic job by all involved. I look forward to seeing the immense impact
it promises to have on sharing ecological biodiversity data.

Cheers,

John