[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Task Group Meeting Wed 29 Nov 2023, 12:00 UTC

Yanina Sica yanina.sica at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 10:47:29 UTC 2023

Dear all,

End of the year is getting closer and many people will start going on
holidays. We still have some things to discuss but let's aim to finish them
this week. *The goal is to submit all our responses to the GitHub issues
and potential new terms or changes by end Nov or  beginning Dec. After
this, the clock will restart and we will have to wait for another month
before ratifying. *

In order to be effective over the next week, *I will ask you to share your
comments (either in the meeting or over email) about a few points:*

   - Please review the  *Miscellaneous* section from ALA (page 16 here
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OxJ_H5vBd9pucjdgQDa6qMaQKl4O89gf/edit>
   ).
   - Please revise the *new term proposed* (see below) about reporting of
   scope in a more descriptive way. This term should be used as a last resort
   and in no way should replace the other scope trms. This term will allow to
   capture targets that are not included in the more explicits target scopes
   (e.g. targetTaxonomicScope) at least until new target scopes are proposed,
   and give more flexibility in the scope reporting, that is why we propose to
   include it as a verbatim term. This term will not allow completeness or
   absence inference.
      - New term: eco:verbatimTargetScope
      - Definition: ‘The verbatim original description of the dwc:Event
      scope.’
      - Comments: ‘Recommended best practice is first to populate explicit
      scope terms to the fullest extent possible (e.g.
eco:targetTaxonomicScope).
      It is not recommended to use this term in assessing absence or
      completeness.’ Scope of last resort! :)
      - Examples: ‘small mammals’; ‘freshwater macroinvertebrates’; ‘dead
      animals’

*Peggy*, do you think you can join our next meeting? If not, can you
suggest some time slots that work for you? I know it will be hard to
coordinate a time that works for everybody and you have already spoken with
Peter but it might be nice for some of us to meet with you and discuss your
very appreciated feedback. In the meetine, we have collected some thoughts
in this document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OxJ_H5vBd9pucjdgQDa6qMaQKl4O89gf/edit>.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to meet this week. My flight to Argentina
got cancelled and now I am travelling tonight and will not be in time for
our meeting.

All the best!

Yani

Yani