[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Extension Public Review preparations

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 14 13:38:42 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

Thanks for this input, Kate.

It seems we are of divided opinions about when to address non-target
organisms than whether to do so. Assuming it will be done eventually, here
is an attempt to get the issues on the table.

Kate is proposing terms from the Occurrence perspective in the sense that
they would be populated for child-most Occurrence Events (I'll use eco:
isNonTargetOrganism). That is, The Event record associated with the
Occurrence would have a Humboldt extension term eco:isNonTargetOrganism
populated).

Last Wednesday Anahita was proposing terms at a parent Event level (I'll
use eco:hasNontargetTaxa, eco:areNontargetOrganismsFullyReported, and
eco:nonTargetTaxa). This parent Event perspective alerts a user about what
to expect among the children. It should be possible to confirm the
expectations among the children by investigating them.

These two approaches are very different. The first approach seems like a
bit of a contorsion to me in that the term really ought to be an Occurrence
term, and yet it would be going into the Event extension. A second problem
I see is that it would be a challenge for users to know whether a data set,
or a particular Event within a data set, is potentially fit for their
purpose because all of the child Occurrences would have to be investigated
to see if there were relevant non-target taxa.

The second approach circumvents the issues mentioned above. The term
eco:hasNontargetTaxa for an Event would be a single boolean that could
immediately alert a user about what to expect among the child Occurrences.
It could also be populated for the Occurrence Events, serving the role
intended for eco:isTargetOrganism. The term eco:nonTargetTaxa could
actually list those taxa so the user would know what was considered
non-target. The term eco:areNontargetOrganismsFullyReported seems extremely
important, but it is also extremely problematic, the problem being that it
seems like the value of this term would almost ALWAYS have to be 'false'.

So, there are clearly things to discuss, but here is an attempt
to jump-start term definitions at least.

eco:hasNontargetTaxa

   - definition: One or more dwc:Organisms of taxa outside the target
   taxonomic and organismal scopes were detected and reported for this
   dwc:Event.
   - comments: Should be empty if no taxonomic scope is declared. Should be
   'true' if Occurrences of taxa outside the taxonomic and organismal scopes
   as defined at the time of the dwc:Event are included for the dwc:Event.
   Should be 'false' if no Occurrences of taxa outside the taxonomic and
   organismal scopes as defined at the time of the dwc:Event are included for
   the dwc:Event.
   - examples: 'true'; 'false'

eco:nonTargetTaxa

   - definition: A list (concatenated and separated) of taxa reported
   during the dwc:Event that are outside of the eco:targetTaxonomicScope.
   - comments: Non-target taxa can be reported at any taxonomic level.
   Recommended best practice is to separate multiple values in a list with
   space vertical bar space ( | ).
   - examples: `Parabuteo unicinctus | Geranoaetus melanoleucus`;
   `Cetoniinae | Aclopinae | Cyclocephala modesta`

eco:areNontargetOrganismsFullyReported

   - definition: Every dwc:Organism that was outside the
   eco:targetTaxonomicScope, and was detected during the dwc:Event,  and was
   detectable using the given protocol, was reported.
   - comments: This term is only relevant if the dwc:Event used restricted
   search or open search methods and the value should otherwise be empty. If
   all dwc:Organisms not included within the eco:targetTaxonomicScope and
   detected during the dwc:Event were reported, the value should be 'true'. If
   all dwc:Organisms not included within the eco:targetTaxonomicScope and
   detected during the dwc:Event were not reported, the value should be
   'false'.
   - examples: 'true; 'false'

Cheers,

John