[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Task Group Meeting Wed 31 March 2021, 0800 EST: homework!

Yanina Sica yanina.sica at yale.edu
Sun Mar 28 19:46:38 UTC 2021

Hi all,

As per our discussion at the last meeting, we have homework for next
Wednesday!

Propose a definition (include comments and examples if appropriate) for the
following HC terms:

   -

   protocolName
   -

      The idea of this term would be to capture a -more or less- specific
      protocol, but without including specific details in textual form. As
      discussed in our last meeting this term could involve the
concatenation of
      General Target Category + Method Approach + General Method Type
+ Specific
      Method Name from Survey Methods Definition
      <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ojS1gRk5MJZ5OWYuaXaGt0oFn3J-JPvpHT-0JkUNwZA/edit#gid=0>
      (better known as “Peter’s spreadsheet” :) ). Consider if such a
term would
      need an associated controlled vocabulary, and if so, whether we would
      attempt to provide one, point to existing one(s), or leave open
for future
      work.
      -

   protocolDescription/protocolDetail
   -

      As discussed in our last meeting, this term would allow users to
      capture detailed information about the protocol, including any deviation
      from the published methodologies  and unpublished protocols.
      -

   protocolReference
   -

      From our conversation in our last meeting, it was not clear if this
      should be retained separately or included in
      protocolDescription/protocolDetail. If you feel it should be a separate
      term, please provide definition, comments, examples. This term
would refer
      to formatted references and URL or direct DOI links to the protocols used.

For reference:

   -

   check the definitions of the original related terms in HC (see Vocabulary
   file <https://github.com/tdwg/hc/tree/main/vocabulary>: protocol name,
   protocol detail, protocol citation, protocol reference)
   -

   revisit the definition of dwc:samplingProtocol
   <https://dwc.tdwg.org/terms/#dwc:samplingProtocol>

*Please send your proposed definitions to me or Paula by Tuesday* so we
include them in a small presentation to improve our discussions.

Thank you and see you on Wed!

LIST OF TERMS TO BE DISCUSSED NEXT WED:
original_HC_label
protocol name
protocol detail
protocol citation
protocol reference
effort amount upper bound
effort upper bound unit
effort amount lower bound
effort lower bound unit
If time allows we can start discussing site description terms:
   number of separate sites
   site nesting
   site names
   site details