[tdwg-content] I am seeking speakers for a proposed Biodiversity Next symposium

Simpson, Annie asimpson at usgs.gov
Thu Dec 6 19:53:15 UTC 2018

Hello, TDWG list members,

I've submitted the following abstract to Biodiversity Next and would like
to know if any of you would like to give a talk? I've requested a 90-minute
slot. If you are interested, please email me with your name, affiliation,
title, and 300 word (or less) abstract, and we will see where this goes.

How can specialized databases integrate information and work better
together?
Is following Darwin Core enough?

Invasive species databases and other specialized biodiversity information
systems are being called more and more to share their information with one
another (Zeller et al. 2005; Holdren 2013). Because of differences in data
content and database purpose, much information from smaller datasets can be
lost during the integration process into larger databases such as BISON,
iDigBio, GBIF, and others (Costello et al. 2013).

The effort required for cross-walking data fields and for modifying
database structure to accommodate new information is significant
(Diepenbroek et al. 2014). Darwin Core extensions have been, and continue
to be, created to facilitate the sharing of specialized datasets (Byrd
2018). However, following the guidelines set out in these extensions can be
insufficient when their structure leans toward the flexible vs. requiring
the use of controlled terms.

Participants in this symposium will be encouraged to share examples -- both
challenges and successes -- they have encountered during their efforts to
combine specialized datasets.

- Byrd C (2018) Adaptation of Darwin Core Standards and Development of New
Standards for Geologic Specimens. Biodiversity Information Science and
Standards 2: e25929. https://doi.org/10.3897/biss.2.25929

- Costello MJ, Michener MK, Gahegan M, Zhang ZQ, Bourne PE (2013)
Biodiversity data should be published, cited, and peer reviewed. Trends in
Ecology & Evolution. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2013.05.002

- Diepenbroek M, Glöckner FO, Grobe P, Güntsch A, Huber R, König-Ries B,
Kostadinov I, Nieschulze J, Seeger B, Tolksdorf R, Triebel D, (2014)
Towards an integrated biodiversity and ecological research data management
and archiving platform: the German federation for the curation of
biological data (GFBio). In: Plödereder E, Grunske L, Schneider E, Ull, D
(Eds.), Informatik 2014. Bonn: Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. p1711-1721.
https://dl.gi.de/handle/20.500.12116/2782

- Holdren JP (2013) Increasing Access to the Results of Federally Funded
Scientific Research. Office of Science and Technology Policy Memorandum,
United States Government, Washington, DC.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/ostp_public_access_memo_2013.pdf

- Zeller D, Froese R, and Paulya D (2005) On losing and recovering
fisheries and marine science data. Marine Policy 29(1):69-73.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X04000193

*Annie Simpson, biologist & information scientist*
asimpson at usgs.gov
+1 703 648 4281 desk
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8338-5134
*BISON project (http://bison.usgs.gov <http://bison.usgs.gov>)*
EcoScience Synthesis Branch
*Science Analytics and Synthesis Program*

*U.S. Geological Survey, MS 30212201 Sunrise Valley DriveReston, Virginia
 20192*