[tdwg-content] DwC Hour #4: Evolution of DwC Terms and Extensions - Tuesday 2 May 2017 5 PM CEST, 11 AM EDT, 10 AM CDT, 3 PM UTC

Deborah Paul DPAUL at fsu.edu
Fri Apr 28 21:31:47 CEST 2017

Hi TDWG'ers,

Darwin Core (DwC) Hour #4 is almost here: Evolution of DwC Terms and
Extensions - two extant examples for community input. Go Here for
Webinar Details and Meeting Link:
https://www.idigbio.org/content/darwin-core-hour-evolution-darwin-core-terms-and-extensions-two-extant-examples-community

ABSTRACT. Darwin Core Hour #4 shifts focus to understanding how the DwC
standard terms and extensions evolve. Community input and implementation
drive development of DwC. For this webinar, we selected
dwc:preparations, dwc:occurrenceStatus, and dwc:establishmentMeans to
show the broader community how the process works. In this way, we
highlight the need for outside input - from those using TDWG standards
to share biodiversity data. Two presenters, Andrew Bentley and Quentin
Groom, invite you to join them and bring your TDWG expertise and
insights to current issues surrounding these terms. Introduction by John
Wieczorek.

Please bring or submit questions for open discussions in each webinar:
https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz

When: Tuesday 2 May 2017 5 PM CEST, 11 AM EDT, 10 AM CDT, 3 PM UTC
Where: https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/room
Please expect this DwC Hour to be 1.5 hours.

EXTRAs.

 1. Explore the Darwin Core Questions & Answers wiki!
    https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki - where all Darwin Core Hour
    (DwC) materials can be found.
 2. See which of your questions have been asked and answered so far
    https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/issues
 3. Submit your question / volunteer (yourself or someone) to do a
    webinar on your darwin core topic: https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz
 4. Here's a list of terms for which DwC recommends use of a controlled
    vocabulary - note many are in the Location class.
    https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki/Controlled-Vocabularies
 5. See what's inside some of the DwC fields that suggest using a
    controlled vocabulary (data from GBIF, iDigBio, VertNet, and soon
    ALA): https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/tree/master/data
 6. Future DwC Hour webinars coming up feature discussions about the
    GBIF Integrated Publishing Toolkit (IPT) and Darwin Core, and the
    locality terms and sharing georeferenced locality data.

See you soon!

Happy Darwin Core and Data Quality, :-)
Deb, et al from the iDigBio Data Mgmt Interest Group and the Darwin Core
Hour Team
(please kindly excuse cross-postings!)
Webinar series brought to you by the iDigBio Data Management Interest
Group (DMI). We welcome input for this series from everyone worldwide.
We plan to make this happen 1x month. We use Adobe Connect for our
webinars. See https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Web_Conferencing
for hints on best experience (hint: use headsets!)

--
-- Upcoming iDigBio Events https://www.idigbio.org/calendar
-- Deborah Paul, iDigBio Digitization and Workforce Training