[tdwg-content] Implementing Darwin Core in RDF

Douglas Campbell Douglas.Campbell at tepapa.govt.nz
Tue Aug 16 07:52:07 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I am implementing Darwin Core in RDF as part of our API at Te Papa (Museum of New Zealand).  My aim is to map our specimen metadata to rich Darwin Core RDF using JSON-LD, then 'dumb down' to Simple Darwin Core to contribute to virtual herbariums.  I have mocked-up some records, however there are some areas where I'm not quite sure how to interpret the Darwin Core RDF Guide.

The areas of confusion I have include:
* Best practice for connecting containers together
* Dereferencing of the DwC IRI namespace
* The overlapping scope of the Occurrence and Specimen types
* Conflicting usage of Taxon fields in the Identification object.

I'm hoping for suggestions:
1. Are there any implementations of DwC RDF data online that I could look at as examples to follow?
2. What/to whom is the best way to ask specific questions about DwC RDF?

At this stage our API prototype is only available internally but there is some documentation available publicly at:
https://github.com/te-papa/collections-api/wiki

Thanks in advance,
Douglas

Douglas Campbell
Business Analyst
Collections Information Services
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa

Visit the Te Papa website http://www.tepapa.govt.nz
The email message together with the accompanying attachments may be
CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this message in error, please notify
https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/about/contact-us/general-enquiries immediately and
delete the original message. The views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be views of Te Papa. Te Papa employs strict virus
checking measures and accepts no liability for any loss caused either
directly or indirectly by a virus arising from the use of this message
or any attached file.

This email has been filtered by SMX.
For more information visit http://smxemail.com