[tdwg-content] Reverting the process of DwC standardization

Alex Thompson godfoder at acis.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 23 16:00:37 CEST 2015

David,

It's certainly possible, within the context of a Darwin Core Archive, to
include other files within the ZIP file that lie outside the schema of
the archive. Both GBIF and iDigBio do this when generating downloads for
various reasons (RIGHTS & LICENSE files, additional EML metadata, etc).
However, I do not believe it is possible to do this within IPT. You
might submit an issue on the IPT issue tracker
(https://github.com/gbif/ipt/issues) for potential inclusion of this
feature in a future version of IPT.

There are workarounds you can use to include additional data in Darwin
Core archives, but none of them will exactly match your old format. For
instance, including an additional Occurrence file with the values as
JSON in dynamicProperties or in some other verbatim format in the
occurrenceRemarks field. Both of those would at least give some method
of single-row access (vs joining multiple measurementOrFacts to a single
event id) if that is the primary concern, even if they would require
additional parsing steps to be useful.

Alex Thompson
iDigBio Infrastructure