[tdwg-content] status of uBio

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Oct 16 21:25:21 CEST 2015

> It's somewhat clear what uBio identifiers refer to: names vs.

> something more nebulous involving taxa or ... something.

> (Not trying to push your button, Rich Pyle).

:-)

Actually, saying that uBio identifiers refer to “names” is a bit like saying uBio identifiers refer to “stuff” (which is only slightly more ambiguous than “names”).  I think what you mean (a bit more explicitly) is that uBio identifiers refer to “name-strings”, wherein each unique literal UTF-8-encoded string of characters purported to represent a scientific name receives an integer as an identifier.

GNI also assigns unique identifiers to such name-strings, but the difference is that the GNI identifier is a hash of the string itself.  Thus, given a string, you can algorithmically derive the GNI identifier for it.  There is no way to algorithmically convert the uBio name-strings into their corresponding integer uBio identifiers.

I have a question, and a suggestion.

Question: Are new uBio integer identifiers ever going to be minted?  Or do we just want to maintain them for legacy purposes?

Suggestion: Regardless of the answer to the question, I suggest that Dima generate an index for uBio integer identifiers and the corresponding hash uuid used by GNI.  I will import these into BioGUID.org, so going forward we will always have an index to translate the uBio integers into the GN hashed UUIDs.  From there, it would be a simple step to allow GN services to process uBio identifiers natively, and do all the cool things that Steve (and others) would like uBio/GN to do.

Aloha,

Rich