[tdwg-content] status of uBio

Jonathan A Rees rees at mumble.net
Thu Oct 15 21:25:44 CEST 2015

For me it's not a question of supporting new users or promoting uBio or keeping up with curation activity; it's a matter of supporting existing uses and promoting scientific reproducibility. I know of two projects that use uBio (treebase and phylopic) and would be surprised if they weren't just the tip of the iceberg. The identifiers could be buried in papers, data files, software, and so on.

Moving on to other resources, and using uBio as an input, are fine ideas, but it's not either/or. It's highly desirable to retain the ability to resolve current uBio identifiers somehow, even if the means for doing so are awkward (e.g. scanning a dump file or using an API not designed for the purpose).

But I suspect Hilmar is right, and all those identifiers will become inert, if not now then within a few years.

Jonathan