[tdwg-content] Darwin Core Standard - proposed change in governance

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:13:17 CET 2015

John et al. Thanks for all the work you've put into this

I favored this at first, but thought a lot since it was proposed and
now oppose item 1).

Short argument: RDF is meant for machines to read, not humans to read.
If an RDF document is normative, mainly RDF experts will be able to
argue about it and about  conformance to it.

More(?) important, RDF is a graph definition language, not a
specification definition language. Not even RDF  has an RDF file as
its normative definition.  In fact, it seems both W3C and IETF regard
most (all?) of their normative artifacts for specification
(respectively "Recommendation" and "Request For Comment") as nothing
other than human readable documents.

This is not to say there should not be one or more normative RDFS
serializations of a human readable specification.  It may even be that
there should be a privileged RDFS document, together with a privileged
transformation (e.g. in xslt) and a privileged platform for
synthesizing a human readable form of DwC. But it's that web document
that should be normative (and human readable.)  This is what Audubon
Core does, except that the base "generation data" comprises,
annoyingly, but robustly, calls to the MediaWiki template language.
(The annoyance of designing MediaWiki templates may ease in the future
due to [1])

Certainly there are exceptions to the principle of "make only human
readable as the base normative artifact". The XML schemaSchema [2] is
an in example.  But DwC doesn't seem to fit that model. DwC is not a
DwC object.

My position is a little influenced by [3], a lot of with which I
disagree. But it reminds me of something my Daddy taught me:
"multi-purpose tools are often poor at all their purposes, except in
simple cases." But really, my reluctance here is that I see no reason
we should imagine that DwC data is always a graph and that is why we
should model it with a graph description language.  Worse, my
experience is that the most common potholes in the RDF world arise
when using it without understanding the underlying graph theory.

Bob Morris

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua_scripting
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#normative-schemaSchema
[3] http://manu.sporny.org/2014/json-ld-origins-2/