[tdwg-content] Clarification about values for dwc:county

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Apr 13 01:12:30 CEST 2015

Yes, I agree.  It probably is a usage issue.  If there is a mixture of
usage with some people reporting it one way ("Missoula") and others
reporting it the other way ("Missoula County"), then I would probably
include the " County" part.  However, if nearly everyone omits the last
part, then I don't want to expose DwC data that doesn't play well with
what is conventional, and I would omit the last part.

Steve

Bob Morris wrote:

> [...]
> conventions.  One could wish that a best practice would be to follow
> local practice for legal names of such named entities as counties.
> But my guess is that in the U.S. this is full of huge state to state
> variation arising from historical events, especially colonial ones.
> Bob
>
> On Apr 12, 2015 10:35 AM, "Steve Baskauf"
> <steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu <mailto:steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu>>
> wrote:
>
>     The definition of dwc:county is: "The full, unabbreviated name of the
>     next smaller administrative region than stateProvince (county, shire,
>     department, etc.) in which the Location occurs."  What I'm wondering
>     about is whether the "full" name includes the second part to the
>     name as
>     it's typically written in the U.S. and Canada.  "Missoula" is given as
>     an example.  However, the full name of that county in Montana is
>     actually "Missoula County".  If there were consistency in second parts
>     of county names, one could just assume that one adds " County"
>     after the
>     value given for dwc:county.  However, there isn't consistency.  In
>     Louisiana, it's "Washington Parish".  In Alaska, names usually end
>     with
>     "Borough" (e.g. "Denali Borough"), although sometimes they don't (e.g.
>     "Dillingham Census Area").  Outside the U.S. and Canada, there may
>     be no
>     second part to the name, or it might be something completely
>     different.
>
>     I am having a problem with this when I try to display values of
>     dwc:county on a web page.  Currently I have some rules that involve
>     examining the country and the value of dwc:stateProvince to decide
>     what
>     to append after the first part of the name. But they don't work for
>     Alaska and if I just said "Dillingham, Alaska" that would really be
>     wrong if I meant the Dillingham Census Area and not the city of
>     Dillingham.  It would be easier to display them if the second part of
>     the name were included in the value.
>
>     Is there a convention on this?  I was assuming that it would be to
>     omit
>     the second part of the name, but since the definition says "full,
>     unabbreviated name", I'm not sure.
>
>     Steve
>
>     --
>     Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
>     Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences
>
>     postal mail address:
>     PMB 351634
>     Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.
>
>     delivery address:
>     2125 Stevenson Center
>     1161 21st Ave., S.
>     Nashville, TN 37235
>
>     office: 2128 Stevenson Center
>     phone: (615) 343-4582 <tel:%28615%29%20343-4582>,  fax: (615)
>     322-4942 <tel:%28615%29%20322-4942>
>     If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.

PMB 351634