[tdwg-content] delimiter characters for concatenated IDs

Robert Guralnick Robert.Guralnick at colorado.edu
Mon May 5 16:23:18 CEST 2014

  We've been examining the use (ad mis-use) of the DwC triplet, and how
that propagates out of local portals and platforms into other ones.   The
end message from this work (and I am happy to share the manuscript and all
the datasets we have compiled and examined) is that it is a _terrible_
choice for a global unique identifier.

   There are so many better choices, that don't rely on delimiters or on
what is ultimately a non-globally unique, non persistent,  non resolvable
choice for a (permanent, resolvable, globally unique) identifier.  As
opposed to having this conversation, I wonder why we aren't having one
about ALL the other more rational choices...

Best, Rob