[tdwg-content] delimiter characters for concatenated IDs

Kampmeier, Gail E gkamp at illinois.edu
Mon May 5 15:39:24 CEST 2014

I don't know what might be used commonly.  However, among the choices you list, I would argue that anything involving "§", a character not readily visible on the (English-language) keyboard (and thus more likely to be misinterpreted by person or machine) would not be my choice.

I regularly use "\\" and "||" as parsers for search and replace.  "\\" has the advantage of not needing to be accompanied by a shift to acquire the symbol, but the back slash "\" is/was used in local file paths in the PC world.  I have seen a single "|" used as a common delimiter on web page title text, but I don't think "||" is used that way (??).  "||" also has the distinction (disadvantage? or less likely to be hit accidentally) of needing a shift to accomplish it on the traditional keyboard available in English.

I would be happy with either "\\" or "||" until more information is provided.

Cheers!
Gail

Gail E. Kampmeier
Illinois Natural History Survey