[tdwg-content] [External] Summary of issues related to the VoMaG report needing action

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jul 25 15:51:20 CEST 2014

Cyndi:
OK, this email has the non-DwC issues:

There are many recommendations in the VoMaG report [1] and I won't
summarize them here because that's what the report is for.  But specific
action items for the executive related to process are:

*Issue 1:*  Get the ball rolling on fixing the vocabulary maintenance
process.  This is section 2.6.2 of the report.  There are two components
to fixing this.
A. Kill the stalled Standards Documentation Specification [2], which is
unfinished, unworkable, and not broad enough.  The TDWG process allows
this since the task group tasked to do it hasn't come through in a
timely fashion.
B. Charter a task group that is tasked with writing a general Vocabulary
Maintenance Specification that would create formatting guidelines for
both human readable documents (i.e. web pages) and machine readable
documents (i.e. RDF).  This component would replace the killed Standards
Documentation Specification.  The Vocabulary Maintenance Specification
would also describe a generalized system for making changes to existing
TDWG vocabularies.  This would replace the Term Change Policy of the
Darwin Core Namespace Policy [3].  Audubon Core was adopted under the
assumption that this would happen.  This is critical, and part of why
the DwC issues in the previous email are a mess.

*Action needed: *Make it happen. I don't know who is supposed to do
this.  Either the executive should do it themselves or press one of the
standing interest groups to do it.

*Issue 2:* Get interest groups and task groups to do their jobs
(Recommendations 2.15 and 2.16).  There are many inactive and stalled
task groups.  The TDWG process has a mechanism for taking care of this.

*Action needed: *The executive should find out which groups have
reported progress.  Dead task groups and stalled specifications are
supposed to go away.  Non-dead groups should do something at least once
a year.

If I went into more detail than this there wouldn't have been a point in
writing the report.

Steve

[1] http://www.gbif.org/resources/2246
[2] http://www.tdwg.org/standards/147/
[3] http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/namespace/index.htm#classesofchanges

Cynthia Parr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will be happy to take up the VoMaG report and the status of the
> Technical Architecture Group in the TDWG Executive. I know that a lot
> of work went into the report, and I definitely appreciate the huge
> volunteer effort. It is true that the Kenya/Sweden meetings have
> consumed much of the Exec's energy of late, and we are all doing our
> best to juggle our many responsibilities.
>
> Otherwise, if there are more specific requests to the Executive from
> the Darwin Core review manager (or anybody) on the issues that Joel is
> calling attention to (204-226), I'm not aware of them.  Not sure if
> Steve's remarks about process are directed at John (as review manager)
> or at the TDWG Executive (or possibly both) but I'm happy to help as I
> can. Just need a bit more clarity (and brevity -- communication is
> hard enough given how distributed and multi-national we are!)
>
> Definitely I would be interested in participating in an RCN proposal
> to help address the challenge of running our all-volunteer
> organization.  Arguably, as current TDWG chair I should lead the
> proposal. I can't commit to this officially just at the moment but as
> plans coalesce we can see if this is something I'll be able to do.
> I've already had some conversations with other members since Florence
> about the idea of finding funds to support coordination, and I would
> be happy to organize a small group towards concrete action.  Please
> contact me offline if you haven't already expressed interest in being
> part of this group.
>
> Cyndy
> TDWG Chair
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Chuck Miller <Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
> <mailto:Chuck.Miller at mobot.org>> wrote:
>
>     Steve,
>
>     I guess I needed to be more specific.  I meant all of the
>     administration and leadership of TDWG are volunteer.  And those
>     volunteers must  put in a lot of volunteer time on everything
>     required for TDWG administration, including the ratification
>     process.  This year I know that dealing with the annual conference
>     issues and changing venues in the middle of the year has been very
>     time demanding on those volunteers.  Having been in the situation,
>     I have a lot of empathy for those on the Executive Committee who
>     must deal with all of TDWG's issues while holding down a full
>     time, paid job.
>

>     Chuck
>

>     *From:* tdwg-content-bounces at lists.tdwg.org
>     <mailto:tdwg-content-bounces at lists.tdwg.org>