[tdwg-content] dwc:genus & the canonical name

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Feb 4 20:04:07 CET 2014

Hi all,
we are currently improving our webservices at GBIF and do hit again the issue about whether dwc:genus represents the genus of the accepted or actually applied scientificName. So far GBIF has used the DWC definition and used dwc:genus as the genus the name had been classified into, i.e. the genus of the accepted name in case of synonyms. We would like to continue with that definition, but there had been requests to also expose the actual parsed name and would like to adopt the previously proposed but never ratified terms dwc:genericName and dwc:infragenericEpithet for this. See http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/2012-March/002882.html for a quick summary of the previous discussions and the issue itself at google code: https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=151.

As a backup to the proposal, i4Life / Catalogue of Life are also already using the newly proposed terms in their dwca format.
Can we get an agreement to add those 2 terms to Darwin Core?

best,
Markus

PS: It might be a good oppertunity to also add dwc:strain and dwc:cultivarEpithet
https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=144
https://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=141