[tdwg-content] Fwd: [dwc] quantity (#12)

Eamonn O Tuama [GBIF] eotuama at gbif.org
Wed Dec 17 16:03:53 CET 2014

Hi John,

The intent is to capture just one measurement (i.e.,
abundance/density/coverage - however the dataset is reporting quantitative
information on organism presence in a sampling event) - hence the proposal
to place the terms quantity and quantityType in the Occurrence class as
properties on an equal footing with individualCount, etc. By "buried", I
was just contrasting with the more generic properties of MeasurementOrFact
where you have to look up the value of measurementType to determine the
entity. In contrast, our quantityType (i.e., abundanceType) is more
direct. I can see that use of the word "quantity" can make quantityType
seem very generic but it was the best and most neutral one we came up with
to cover the various ways of reporting organism numbers in a sample.

Eamonn