[tdwg-content] Darwin Core: proposed news terms for expressing sample data

Anne Thessen annethessen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:58:50 CEST 2014

Hello
I would just like to comment on *event core*.
I've been doing a lot of work translating published data into Darwin
Core. During that process I've wished several times that I could use
Event as core. I am happy to hear about that proposed change. It will
make it easier to model the data I am working with.
Anne

On 8/20/2014 7:04 AM, Éamonn Ó Tuama [GBIF] wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Thank you for the feedback. I have tried to address the two main
> issues you raise below. At the outset, I would like to emphasise that
> much of this work is taking place in the context of the EU BON project
> which includes a task on developing/enhancing tools and standards for
> data sharing with a particular focus on the IPT for publishing
> sample-based data. So, we were constrained by the need to publish
> sample-based data sets in the Darwin Core Archive format and to
> demonstrate practical application using a working prototype. When the
> discussion on the TDWG list faded out, we took it to our EU BON
> partners whose requirements were essential input to further
> development. We recognise that these discussions took place away from
> TDWG (although the TDWG/EU BON contributors overlapped) and this is
> the reason we are presenting  the outcomes here for further
> consideration.
>
> **Event core**
>
> As the SIGS report indicated, sample data can be modelled in Darwin
> Core Archives using either Occurrence or Event as core. This was the
> starting point for our evaluation but as things progressed the data
> wrangling pushed the model back towards the Event core. We actually
> went through the exercise of mapping multiple test datasets in
> an iterative process spanning several months' work. In the end, we
> found that using an Event core better matched the typical sample data
> we were dealing with, allowing use of a measurement-or-fact extension
> to be included for the efficient expression of environmental
> information associated with the event. The choice comes down to an
> Occurrence core or an Event core + Occurrence extension. In both
> cases, the true observation records are Occurrences. The big
> difference is what type the core has and therefore to which kind of
> records you can attach further facts and extra information with DwC-A
> extensions. Many sampling datasets have very rich information about
> the site and event, so it is very natural to hang facts from an Event
> core. When picking the Occurrence core those facts would have to be
> repeated for each and every occurrence record. Moreover, our approach
> doesn't stop anyone from using the Occurrence core if they so
> wish. This just provides a different option for datasets that better
> fit an Event core model.
>
> I want to stress that we are not building a "specific IPT version" to
> support an Event core but, rather, we adapted the IPT so that it can
> be configured to support any generic "core + extension" format to
> enable its use for exploration of more data formats.  This is part of
> the core codebase and there were no custom forks of the IPT for this
> work.  Our view at GBIF is that if there are significant numbers of
> data publishers who are keen to adopt, promote and use a (any) format,
> and the tools can be configured to do so, then we should support it,
> [...]

Anne E. Thessen, Ph.D.
The Data Detektiv, Owner and Founder
Ronin Institute, Research Scholar
443.225.9185