[tdwg-content] Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent

Donald Hobern [GBIF] dhobern at gbif.org
Thu Sep 26 10:50:35 CEST 2013

Thanks - I think I too have missed something.  If we want to make these
terms usable, there needs to be a simple way to get numbers out of records
that can be compared with one another where sampling methods allow such
comparisons.  The suggested plain text examples for Abundance don't make
this possible.  Forcing normalisation into percentages seems an unnecessary
hurdle and risks encouraging the impression that number of ducks on a
reservoir is somehow comparable with percentage dry mass, proportional
expression of CO1 for a particular species in an ecogenomics sample, or
whatever.

I would much rather we ensured we had a standard, preferred field which the
data publisher can populate directly with whatever number is the most
appropriate expression of the relative abundance in the sample.  That gives
consumers a clear expectation of how to interpret and handle it.

Donald

Donald Hobern - GBIF Director - dhobern at gbif.org
Global Biodiversity Information Facility http://www.gbif.org/
GBIF Secretariat, Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Tel: +45 3532 1471  Mob: +45 2875 1471  Fax: +45 2875 1480