[tdwg-content] A plea around basisOfRecord (Was: Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent)

Donald Hobern [GBIF] dhobern at gbif.org
Tue Oct 15 15:35:22 CEST 2013

Thanks, Steve.

Taking this back to the concerns, I raised at the beginning, I think my
concern can best be expressed by the fact that the rdf:type for many
published records is not easily defined (or at least leads to arguments
about whether some of the available data elements can properly apply to an
object of that class).  I think the majority of our records are best seen as
a denormalised view of a join between instances of different classes rather
than as an instance of a class.

Your comments in your other messages about on-going TDWG work on ontologies
are much appreciated.  I would like to see that work carrying through to
accepted recommendations and for the main Darwin Core vocabulary for the
time being not to get distracted by whether the associated records are
Events, Occurrences, MaterialSamples or whatever.

Thanks again.

Donald

Donald Hobern - GBIF Director -  <mailto:dhobern at gbif.org> dhobern at gbif.org

Global Biodiversity Information Facility  <http://www.gbif.org/>
http://www.gbif.org/

GBIF Secretariat, Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark

Tel: +45 3532 1471  Mob: +45 2875 1471  Fax: +45 2875 1480