[tdwg-content] A plea around basisOfRecord (Was: Proposed new Darwin Core terms - abundance, abundanceAsPercent)

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sun Oct 13 21:52:42 CEST 2013

I've always been somewhat puzzled by the disconnect between the TDWG LSID ontology (e.g., http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonConcept ) which has a rich set of classes and links between those classes, and Darwin Core (e.g., http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/type-vocabulary/index.htm ) which overlaps with this vocabulary and, in my opinion, does a worse job in some areas, notably taxon names and concepts. Maybe the LSID vocabulary suffered from the limited uptake of LSIDs (apart from the nomenclators and Catalogue of Life) or from the complexity of dealing with RDF, but it seems that much of the essential work was done when Roger Hyam created that ontology.

What might help is a way to visualise the TDWG LSID ontology in terms of the interconnections between the different classes. I'm not aware of such a visualisation (nor of an equivalent one for the Darwin Core classes).

In any event, it seems odd to have two distinct ontologies that are both in use, and which overlap so significantly.

Regards

Rod
On 13 Oct 2013, at 16:12, Donald Hobern [GBIF] wrote:

> It’s been a couple of weeks but I said I’d try to write something about a more general concern I have around the way we use basisOfRecord and dcterms:type to hold values like occurrence, event and materialSample.  This is something that has concerned me for years and that, I worry, is making everything we all do much messier than it need be.
>
> I believe that the way we have come to use Darwin Core basisOfRecord is confused and unhelpful.  I really wish we used Darwin Core like this:
>
> 1.       basisOfRecord should be used ONLY to indicate the type of evidence that lies behind a record – a key aspect of whether the record is likely to be useful for different purposes
> 2.       basisOfRecord values should be taken from a hierarchical vocabulary with three main branches:
> a.       “specimens” (i.e. biological material that can be reviewed), with a hierarchy of subordinate values such as “pinnedSpecimen”, “herbariumSheet”, etc.
> b.      derived, non-biological evidence (not sure what name), with a hierarchy of subordinate values such as “dnaSequence”, “soundRecording”, “stillImage”, etc.
> c.       asserted observations with no revisitable evidence other than the authority of the observer
> 3.       TDWG should deliver a basic ontology in the form of a graph of key relationships between the most significant conceptual entities in our world (TaxonName, TaxonConcept, Identification, Collection, Specimen, Locality, Agent, …)
> 4.       This ontology should not attempt to map all the complexity of biodiversity-related data – just provide the high-level map and key relationships (TaxonConcept hasName TaxonName, Specimen heldIn Collection, etc.) – it should leave definition of other properties as a separate, open-ended activity for the community
> 5.       This ontology should be reviewed at regular intervals and versioned as necessary to address critical gaps – provided that backwards compatibility is maintained (splitting a class into multiple consitituent classes probably won’t break anything, so start simple)
> 6.       The Darwin Core vocabulary should be published as a flat, open-ended list of terms with clear definitions that can be freely combined as columns in denormalised records
> 7.       Every Darwin Core term should be documented to be tightly associated with a single, fixed class in the ontology (e.g. scientificName and specificEpithet are ALWAYS considered to be properties of a TaxonName whether or not that TaxonName object is clearly referenced or separated out)
> 8.       Every data publisher should be encouraged to share all relevant data elements in their source data in the most convenient normalised or denormalised form, provided they use the recognised Darwin Core properties for elements that match the definition for those terms, and provided they give some metadata for other elements.  Possible forms include:
> [...]

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow