[tdwg-content] New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri May 31 08:48:00 CEST 2013

Yes, that’s a fair point!  In a sense, the ID has intrinsic value on its own if for no other reason than to represent a reference point for aggregation.

Nevertheless, I still maintain that if it fulfills that purpose, then it implies a “thing” (around which other “things” are aggregated), and I can’t imagine such a “thing” that we would care about for aggregating purposes, about which we would not associate other property values.

I say all this quite deliberately in reference to “dwc:individualID”, of course…. J

Aloha,

Rich