[tdwg-content] New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon May 27 17:30:29 CEST 2013

One minor point about what Markus said below: "

instead of creating a new MaterialSample class term

".  DwC is defined in its normative form as RDF.  If one looks at the
defining RDF for the DwC type vocabulary terms
(http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/rdf/dwctype.rdf
), one will see that they are defined as rdf:type rdfs:Class, just like
the class terms in the "basic" DwC vocabulary
(http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/rdf/dwcterms.rdf
).  So if we create dwctype:MaterialSample, we actually will be creating
a MaterialSample class term - it just will be in the dwctype: namespace
rather than the dwc: namespace.

 From the standpoint of RDF, either the class terms from the basic
vocabulary or the type vocabulary terms could be used to type
resources.  However, since the whole point of having a type vocabulary
is to describe what type of thing a resource is, it makes sense that we
recommend that the DwC type vocabulary be used to declare the type of a
resource in RDF (rather than the dwc: classes).  That is what we will
probably recommend in the RDF guide and is consistent with the use of
the string versions of the type vocabulary terms as controlled values
for dwc:basisOfRecord in text-based systems.

Steve

Markus Döring (GBIF) wrote:

> Another surprising outcome of an exercise to actually map a large number of use cases to darwin core records with real values (using the text guidelines) was that we ended up preferring a dynamically typed Occurrence class via the basisOfRecord property and mostly did away with any class terms. This actually draws on Steves proposal to only add a new dwc type term to basisOfRecord instead of creating a new MaterialSample class term. Along with a much richer, hierarchical and probably ontology controlled definition of such basisOfRecord terms we felt we can go a long, long way.
>
> best,
> Markus
>

> On 26.05.2013, at 23:34, Richard Pyle wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the *EXCELLENT* post -- this gets to the heart of what I was trying to ask. I don’t have time to respond in detail, but will come back to this in a bit.
>>
>> Rich

PMB 351634