[tdwg-content] New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sun May 26 23:33:26 CEST 2013

Everyone seems to be focused on the "word", but I'm much more interested in
the concept.  As I said in my reply to John, I use the word "individual"
only because DWC has already defined it via dwc:individualID. I honestly
don't care what the actual term is - as long as we understand the scope of
its conceptual meaning.  I have found strong experiential support for
collapsing "small group", "single individual", and "part" or "subsample" of
a single individual into the same conceptual entity. If we are going to
continue to use dwc:individualID, and dwc:materialSample as separate
entities in DWC, then we really need robust definitions to distinguish these
two things, so we don't end up with massive overlap.  Are they different
classes of things?  Are they both subclasses of something else (e.g.,
"biologicalObject")?

Aloha,

Rich