[tdwg-content] New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples

John Deck jdeck at berkeley.edu
Sat May 25 11:55:20 CEST 2013

Steve,

Thanks for your comments.  Responding to both of your emails here.

We’ve removed the class and now have just the MaterialSample dwctype and a
materialSampleID property.  dwctype:MaterialSample refines
http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/OBI_0000747.   Also, we’ve updated
materialSampleID to be a new term in the dwc/terms namespace instead of
referencing the MiXS namespace.  In our original proposal, we suggested
using the MIxS RDF namespace for this property, however, the GSC did not
make MIxS-as-RDF a standard, as decided recently at GSC15, so we’ve chosen
not to use that term (by convention) and instead propose creating our own
materialSampleID property in the dwc/terms namespace.   (A side note: the
GSC is still very much interested in MIxS as RDF and we’ll continue to
maintain and implement https://code.google.com/p/mixs-as-rdf/ in
conjunction with the MIxS developers).

Modification to proposed terms:

Term Name: MaterialSample

Identifier: http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/MaterialSample<http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/MaterialSample>

Namespace: http:/rs.tdwg.org/dwctype/ <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms>

Label: Material Sample

Definition: The category of information pertaining to the physical results
of a sampling (or subsampling) event. In biological collections, the
material sample is typically collected, and either preserved or
destructively processed.

Comment: For discussion see
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/DwCTypeVocabulary (there will be
no further documentation here until the term is ratified)

Type of Term: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class

Refines: http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/OBI_0000747