[tdwg-content] AC Comment: terms for phylocode and DNA barcode

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Mar 25 15:33:56 CET 2013

Rob Stevenson made another helpful comment with regards to the proposed
Audubon Core standard:

"Rather than have Term Name: associatedSpecimenReference as a place for
phylocode and a DNA barcode, should the standard support specific fields
for a phylocode and a DNA barcode?  These seem to be independent
approaches that might help anchor or tie together multimedia
observations.  I can image people taking a picture of an insect and
getting a DNA barcode but not having a Taxon Name or a set of characters
completed. It seems that molecular data are becoming more and more
important and their collection is becoming more and more automated.  For
microbes, molecular characterization seems to be the main approach uses".

I have not opened an issue for this item because although it is an
important issue, I'm not sure it is in scope for Audubon Core.  AC
imports terms from other vocabularies when possible (notably Darwin
Core), but generally only mints terms when they deal specifically with
multimedia and when existing vocabularies don't already provide such a
term.  The issue that Rob raises is a general one that needs to be
discussed in the context of how vocabularies such as Darwin Core (which
are currently designed primarily to facilitate "flat", specimen-oriented
databases) can be adapted for use in more normalized databases which
integrate information about many kinds of resources (e.g. specimens, DNA
sequences, images, etc. ).  This is a topic that is the subject of
ongoing discussions with groups such as BiSciCol, RCN4GSC, and the TDWG
RDF task group.  But it may be too much for Audubon Core to take on at
this point in time.

Opinions?

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu