[tdwg-content] Revised Material Sample Proposal

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jun 27 03:34:42 CEST 2013

John,

I would like to suggest that somewhere in your revised proposal you
state explicitly that "MaterialSample" be used as the controlled string
value when a literal value is given for dwc:basisOfRecord (see
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#basisOfRecord).  The current
convention for other type vocabulary values has been to use the last
part of the URI (e.g. "HumanObservation" for
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/HumanObservation and "Event" for
http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Event).  If that pattern were followed, some
users might provide "OBI_0100051" as the string and based on what you
wrote below, I don't think that is what you intend.

Steve

John Deck wrote:

> NOTE:
>
> Following discussion on the TDWG content list, discussions with OBI
> developers, and discussions with MIxS developers, we have modified the
> original Material Sample Term Proposal in the following document.
>

> The original document sent to the Darwin Core community for Material
> Sample proposed the OBI term Material Sample
> (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/OBI_0000747), which we are now
> modifying to instead reference OBI Specimen
> (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/OBI_0100051).  The reason for this
> change is that it came to light that the intention of OBI Material
> Sample “should be representative of the whole from which it is
> sampled”.  Since this definition places an unnecessary constraint on
> its use we have opted to use OBI Specimen instead, which is more
> closely aligned with our original intent. In addition to this change,
> we have also modified the proposal based on the feedback from this list.
>

> -John Deck, Rob Guralnick, Ramona Walls
>
> ****
>
> New Term Request: Material Sample
>

> This is a proposal for two new terms in Darwin Core, relating to the
> addition of the concept, “Material Sample”, described by the
> identifier http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/OBI_0100051.  The two terms are:
>

> 1) A new BasisOfRecord term MaterialSample with label “Material
> Sample”  that references http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/OBI_0100051
>
> 2) A new Darwin Core property term, MaterialSampleID.
>

> Submitters:  John Deck, Rob Guralnick and Ramona Walls
>

> Justification
>
> The current values in the DwC Type Vocabulary
> (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/) do well in representing some types
> of biocollections and observations. However, the more general notion
> of a sample is not well represented, because the existing terms are
> too specific.  For example, the DwC terms “Preserved Specimen”,
> “Fossil Specimen”, and “Living Specimen” are appropriate for use in
> the museum community but assume particular properties pertaining to
> museum collections, which “material samples” may or may not have.
>  Examples of “material samples” we are considering (beyond the
> examples above) are surveys that involve soil and water sampling, bulk
> sampling of specimens from, e.g., trawls, microbiological sampling,
> metagenomics, etc.  These sampling approaches often rely on field
> sub-sampling processes and laboratory techniques (e.g., DNA extraction
> and sequencing) which transform the physical material and produce
> distinct information content and thus represent a type of information
> that is distinct from what DwC has typically dealt with. The proposal
> for adding “Material Sample” as a DwC class is to maintain consistency
> with the way Darwin Core terms are managed and organized. This term
> comes from the Ontology for Biomedical Investigations (OBI) class
> OBI:specimen.  We use the class concept definition directly from OBI
> [...]

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu