[tdwg-content] New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Mon Jun 24 21:37:12 CEST 2013

Hi John,

My apologies for the long delay - I wanted to finish reading the draft
Darwin Core RDF guide, and recent discussion on it, before responding. I
agree with the assertion made in the guide (section 2.6.1) that there's no
useful way to use use Darwin Core xxxID terms in RDF. But even were this
not the case, I struggle to understand the utility of the xxxID terms.

MaterialSampleID, as currently proposed, serves two purposes: it provides
an identifier for the thing it gets slapped onto, and it also indicates
that that thing is a MaterialSample. But this second purpose - indicating
that the thing is a MaterialSample - can be done either by asserting it to
be
rdf:type dwctype:MaterialSample
or by following the convention described in
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/text/index.htm .

So all we really need is a mechanism for giving an identifier. Is there a
reason not to use dc-elements:identifier for this purpose?

Best,
Joel.