[tdwg-content] Consensus on what constitutes an Occurrence? (was Re: New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples)

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jun 24 16:44:12 CEST 2013

I have quoted below part of an email which has been sitting in my inbox
for a month.  It been stuck there because there was a statement in it
that (in my mind) needed clarification.  In John Deck's email, he says
"...since an Occurrence represents an organism at a place and time...".
What I am wondering is whether there is actually a consensus that an
Organism represents an organism at a place and time.

Caveat: I use "individual organism" here in a general way that probably
includes more than individual organisms.  But that is a different issue,
so let's not rehash that in this thread.

The history of the discussion of the meaning of Occurrence is
extensive.  You can find my attempt to summarize it at:
http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/ClassOccurrence so I won't
repeat that here.  In a nutshell, it seems to me that people have used
dwc:Occurrence in three general ways:

- to indicate that we know from aggregate records that a taxon occurs or
ever occurred, in a particular geographic area (the "checklist" meaning
of Occurrence)
- as a broad term that includes both preserved specimens and
observations (the "superclass" meaning of Occurrence)
- as a join between Events and individual organisms [database
description]/as a node connecting Event instances to instances of
individual organisms [RDF description]/as a tuple of (individual
organism,Event) with properties to connect it to the individual organism
and Event [computer science description] (the "node" meaning of
Occurrence).

It has been noted that the "checklist" meaning of Occurrence is related
to Occurrence as a primary unit of data gathering ("superclass" and
"node" meanings; see history reference for details) but the "checklist"
meaning is probably the least likely to be considered a consensus view,
so I'm going to ignore it for the moment.  The "node" meaning of
occurrence corresponds to what is described by John Deck (quoting Markus
Döring) in his email below.  It is also the view taken by Darwin-SW and
is reflected in Rich Pyle's emails (related since Darwin-SW was
influenced by Rich Pyle's emails!).  However, although it isn't
explicitly stated as such, the Darwin Core standard as it currently
stands really reflects the "superclass" meaning.  I was involved in a
conversation with John Wieczorek a few months ago which was on the topic
of "fixing" dwc:Occurrence (i.e. getting rid of the ambiguity
surrounding it).  In that conversation, I confirmed with John W. that as
things stand currently, Darwin Core effectively considers dwc:Occurrence
to be a superclass of PreservedSpecimen and Observation.  So to me it
does not seem that there actually is a consensus about what
dwc:Occurrence means.  Is an Occurrence the *thing* that documents the
presence of an organism at a place and time ("superclass" meaning), or
is the Occurrence an *abstract resource* connecting organisms to
place/time with the thing itself as documentation for the abstract
resource ("node" meaning)?

In order to "fix" Occurrence by clarifying its meaning, it seems to me
that there are two courses of action:

1. Declare clearly that Occurrence is a superclass of PreservedSpecimen
and Observation and create a new term for the more abstract "organism at
a place and time".
2. Declare clearly that Occurrence is an organism at a place and time
and that it is NOT a superclass of PreservedSpecimen and Observation.

The second course of action would be the easiest from the standpoint of
making a change to the standard.  However, it might be the worst from an
implementation standpoint because of the thousands (millions?) of
specimen records that are typed as Occurrence.

If we can clarify these two uses of Occurrence, then the terms currently
listed in DwC under the dwc:Occurrence class could be separated among
the two "kinds" of Occurrence.  Terms related to the recording of the
presence of an organism at a time and place (dwc:recordedBy,
dwc:behavior, etc.) would be separated from terms related to the
specimens themselves (dwc:preparations, dwc:disposition, etc.).  This
may not seem like a big deal for flat specimen records, but it would be
very helpful from the standpoint of advancing the use of DwC in RDF to
clarify the types of resources that these terms can serve as properties
of.

I would be interested in hearing some discussion about concrete steps
that could be taken to "fix" Occurrence.  The "best" solution would
probably be to create a robust consensus ontology that includes
Occurrence.  However, that is not likely to happen on the timescale of a
year or less.  Given that this issue has dragged on for at least two
years already, in the interest of moving forward it would be good to
take some kind of decisive action in the near term.

Steve