[tdwg-content] Clarifying the nature of TDWG Standards document categories, was Re: A radical proposal for Darwin Core

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jul 3 23:59:37 CEST 2013

Ha ha!  I can see that there is something defective about my memory.  I
searched my "sent" emails and guess what I found.
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=136
I had forgotten about that.  So identifying the normative document is an
accepted high priority issue for the next version of DwC

Steve

joel sachs wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Steve Baskauf wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> To illustrate this with Darwin Core, the single normative (Type 1)
>> RDF document is
>> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/rdf/dwctermshistory.rdf
>>

> </snip>
>
> Steve,
>
> Are you sure that that document is *the* normative Darwin Core? Consider:
>
> i. It is not included in the Download from the Darwin Core Cover Page,
> http://www.tdwg.org/standards/450/
> (I admit that this is weak evidence, since every document that is
> included in the download is outdated. So whatever the normative
> standard is, it's not included in the Download from the Darwin Core
> Cover Page - strange but true.)
>
> ii. It does not define any Darwin Core terms. For example, the
> document defines
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/PreservedSpecimen-2008-11-19
> and
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/PreservedSpecimen-2011-10-16
> but not
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/PreservedSpecimen
>

> I always assumed that the normative standard was defined by
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwcterms.rdf and
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwctype.rdf,
> and (perhaps)
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/ and http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/
>

> Could someone please clarify?
>
> Many thanks,
> Joel.

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu