[tdwg-content] New Term Request - typifiedName

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Dec 4 11:51:05 CET 2013

Hmmm.....

This is the reason that typeStatus was included in the Identification class
-- so that it always is associated with both a specimen (manifest as an
occurrence), and to a taxon (name) -- to which the specimen is Identified.
This is in keeping with what the concept of a "type specimen" really is --
that is, a specimen is not a type inherently, but rather a specimen is
*designated* as a type by someone at some time, via an Identification
instance.

Of course, because DwC classes are not really intended to be used in an
ontological sense, and because most Museums put their "typeStatus" field in
their specimen table (rather than in an Identification table), I can
certainly understand the need for this proposed new term.

I guess my main concern/question is:  how to deal with specimens that
represent types of more than one name? (not common, but not necessarily an
Edge-case either)

Aloha,
Rich