[tdwg-content] magnification/extent of objects present in images

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Apr 3 22:56:48 CEST 2013

I am cross-posting this to the Live Plant Image email list in addition
to tdwg-content because this is a subject that was previously discussed
there.  However, as this is part of the public review of the draft
Audubon Core TDWG standard, I would request that you reply only to the
tdwg-content list, so that any additional discussion will take place
there for the record.  If you aren't on that list and would like to
reply, please send your responses to steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu and I
will post it for you.

This subject came up as part of a comment on Audubon Core from Andréa
Matsunaga:

"In iDigBio (http://tinyurl.com/MISC-Media), some people have expressed
the desire to have information about the magnification being used (to
have a rough idea of the size of the object, potentially from data that
is automatically retrieved from the capturing device) as well as the
real world size depicted by a pixel (for the purposes of allowing one to
make measurements on the image; this would require one to have a scale
on an image and perform some arithmetic). Would it be possible to add
such terms?"

There are terms in the SpatialMetrics terms (section 9.1) of the MIX
vocabulary (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mix/ ) that can encode this
kind of information.  However, I would be interested in opinions about
whether expressing this kind of information is a narrow need that is
outside the scope of a fairly broad standard like Audubon Core or if the
need for such terms is perceived as widespread.

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu